Networking and Communications¶
We use networks and communication protocols to distribute and connect systems due to:
- location: not all operations in a system are possible on the same hardware
- paralelism: we want to do several things at the same time
- modularity: to develop modules, making more easily scalable and repairable
- interference: avoid interference between systems
Protocol vs Network
A network is a group of computers connected among themselves through communication lines.
A protocol is the set of rules that specify message formatsand procedures that allow machines and programs to exchange information.
Networks can be of various shapes and types (wiki):
- transmission media: cable, optic, radio frequency
To keep in mind
Choose a network type depending on your needs, and checking the items below:
- Power consumption
- Existing networks? or adhoc?